Location. We celebrate Wellington Anniversary Day on 22 January every year – the date of the arrival of the first immigrant ship, the Aurora 2. Hutt City Council has maintained strong relationships with Te Atiawa and other iwi in the region. Native birds are common, including the New Zealand pigeon, tui, grey fantail, silvereye, shining cuckoo (in season), grey warbler and morepork. Two waterways ran through the forest, entering the sea at the eastern side of Pito-one Beach. After this period photos it becomes public domain. The campaign claimed few lives but effectively ended Ngāti Toa resistance in the region. In a prophetic speech, Mr Gladstone foresaw many difficulties connected with the alienation of Maori land. Hutt City is the operating name of the Hutt City Council, Amendment to Building consent application, Petone was the site of the first formal settlement of the New Zealand Company in 1840. This name has led to confusion, as Upper Hutt is administered by a separate city council, the Upper Hutt City Council. In the late 1940s new suburbs of state housing developed along the eastern side of the Hutt Valley, from Waiwhetu to Taitā (then known as Taita), to alleviate nationwide housing shortages and to cater for the booming population. The 1855 Wairarapa earthquake (in the range of magnitude 8.1 to 8.3) raised part of the lower valley, allowing reclamation of land from swamp. The scheme emphasised care in the selection of potential immigrants across all of society. Page 5 – An escalation of violence The Post Office began to enforce uniformity in the names used on postmarks. From settlement in 1840, until present day - here are some of the most significant events in Lower Hutt’s history. He was instructed to prepare for the early arrival of a body of settlers from England and acquire as much land as possible to 'keep off land-sharks and squatters'. 2 Baths. Avalon: 8:30am Naenae: 10am Taita: 10:30am Lower Hutt: 9am and 5:30pm, Vigil Mass Sat 6pm. A large proportion of Lower Hutt's residents commute to the mainly commercial, service and government offices in Wellington City 12 km to the south-west. The plans were drawn up in England, showing a grid-like street structure with a river running through it. A single major aquifer dominates the lower Hutt Valley: the Hutt River, originally named Heretaunga, and since 2010 known as "Te Awa Kairangi / Hutt River". Share this property. a page where we look back on how Wellington's regions were shaped and all the colourful individuals that went into making it 'home' This is regardless of the fact that one tenth of the land was never held in perpetuity, and several Treaty of Waitangi Claims have been made. History As Lower Hutt expanded after the end of World War II in 1945, the Labour Party government under Peter Fraser selected Naenae as an ideal site to become a "designer community", a model suburb of sorts, where a suburban state-housing estate would complement a substantial shopping centre. The haste at which they left was in defiance of the Colonial Office and in contempt of the House of Commons who were planning to stop them. In 1985 the river burst its banks, and since then floods have been on a smaller scale. These include three sister cities:. Lower Hutt has two friendly co-operating city relationships: Tempe was the first Sister City, in 1981; Minoh City in 1995; Xi'an since 2000; Taizhou formalised the agreement in 2008; and Laredo the most recent, in 2011. Among the filming locations for The Lord of the Rings directed by Peter Jackson, Dry Creek quarry, which dominates the hills above the suburb of Taitā, became the site for a huge medieval castle built for scenes of Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith. In particular, those relationships fostered by leading elders such as Ihaia Porutu Puketapu and Makere Rangiatea Ralph Love (Sir Ralph Love). We celebrate Wellington Anniversary Day on 22 January every year – the date of the arrival of the first immigrant ship, the Aurora, Britannia, Wellington’s first European township was established on the banks of the Hutt River in February 1840, The lower part of the valley was known for its concentrated industrial base in the late 19, The Patrick Street Worker’s Settlement in Petone was the first national example of cheap quality housing for New Zealand working families. The name is now spelt ‘Mome’, as in Te Mome Street, Lower Hutt. Other secondary schools include Chilton Saint James School, a private girls school; Raphael House Rudolf Steiner School, a state integrated Waldorf education school; Sacred Heart College, a state integrated Catholic girls school; St Bernard's College, a state integrated Catholic boys school; and St Oran's College, a state integrated Presbyterian girls school. Named after Sir William Hutt, a New Zealand Company director, the Hutt River rises in the southern Tararua Range. It is New Zealand's sixth most populous city, with a population of 111,800. The flat river valley of the Heretaunga (Hutt) became the focus for the initial site of the town of Wellington. A History of Stokes Valley, Our Heritage Specialist, Clark ..., Koraunui Stokes Valley Community Hub, Lower Hutt, Wellington Region, 21 September 2019, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org He explained a new systematic and positive colonisation scheme. Lower Hutt's boundaries include the islands in Wellington Harbour, the largest of which is Matiu / Somes Island. Email this location Seven bridges cross the Hutt River within the city of Lower Hutt, with several other bridges built and replaced from the 1850s onwards. Great Britain was experiencing a depression in the 1830s and colonisation was investigated as a possible solution to surplus population and widespread distress. After 1989 most of TVNZ's operations moved to Auckland, and the studios were eventually sold off in 2012 to a consortium of Wellington investors. Lower Hutt occupies the lower regions of the flood plain of the river, one of the most significant features of the city. History of OLD Lower Hutt 1800-1850 Sandra from Normandale Pre the first New Zealand Company ship Tory 1839 landing near Petone beach, Lower Hutt or THE Hutt as it was called, on the Heretaunga River was the beach and then dense bush. By the end of the 1950s, Lower Hutt had a population of 80,000. Initially a farming settlement, Alicetown was settled from the early 1900s by workers from Petone’s factories. 71 Woburn Road, Lower Hutt A Church built in the Modern Era Architecture The present St James Church building is the fourth Hutt Valley church to hold that name. In the upper reaches of the city the Western and Eastern Hutt Hills become closer, culminating in the Taitā Gorge at the northern end of Lower Hutt, separating the city from neighbouring Upper Hutt. Petone's Jackson Street and neighbouring areas have seen a resurgence in to one of Wellington's most popular retail and hospitality area. Very few white people lived in the area, many were old Whalers.  It is separated from the city of Wellington by the harbour, and from Upper Hutt by the Taita Gorge. Lower Hutt has four state secondary schools: Taita College, Naenae College, Hutt Valley High School (the largest) and Wainuiomata High School. Recent searches. The Wellington Tenths Trust (the iwi authority representing the descendants of these iwi) estimates the entire Block was made up of about 200,000 acres of land.  In the five years between the 2013 and 2018 censuses, the population grew steadily across the city with an increasing amount of homes being purchased and the area seen as more affordable comparable to the rest of the region.. Listed Ray White Hutt City Lower Hutt has celebrated a number of firsts in its history, and is notable for a number of reasons: 1. The Lower Hutt Branch continues an active conservation history in the Hutt Valley and environs, including Matiu/Somes Island, Pauatahanui wetland, Manor Park Restoration area, Waiu wetland, and others. Lower Hutt from the air, looking eastwards in March 2009. Accordingly, S C Brees described the little hamlet of Aglionby, stating in the mid-1840s that it was located "in the Lower Hutt". 4 Cornwall Street, Hutt Central, Lower Hutt, 5010 is a Residential property built in 2012 with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2 parking spaces. FT New Zealand Central Premier League. The entire Hutt Valley, including both Lower and Upper Hutt cities, is also often simply called "the Hutt". In 1846 the settlers were threatened by conflict with the Maori which led to skirmishes and deaths. Lower Hutt (Māori: Te Awakairangi) is a city in the Wellington Region of the North Island of New Zealand. Introduced species include the common blackbird, song thrush, house sparrow, European goldfinch, common chaffinch, common starling, and Australian magpie. A settlement, Britannia, grew up close to the mouth of the Hutt River (Te Awa Kairangi in Māori language), and settlers set up New Zealand's first newspaper and bank. 330 High Street Hutt Valley, Wellington Region 5010 New Zealand. Find out about the history of our area since settlement in 1840 – how we got our name, our Maori heritage, and significant milestones between then and now. With lower river-levels in mid-summer, algal blooms have contributed to making slow-flowing areas anoxic. In 1927 the Public Works Department completed the construction of a branch railway line to Waterloo on the east side of the river; the route diverging from the main line between Lower Hutt and Petone. Over the past 25 years service, distribution, and consumer-oriented sectors have increased. It also had an enlightened attitude for its time to the indigenous inhabitants of proposed colonisation land. The proportion of people born overseas was 25.4%, compared with 27.1% nationally. This general description of 'the Hutt' proved to be too vague as the number of settlers increased. Maori from the nearby pa helped settlers build their homes on Pito-one Beach. 1.7 million NZ properties on a beautiful map interface. The boundaries of the Lower Hutt city local body have evolved from a series of amalgamations and boundary changes over the years. The first immigrant ship - the Aurora arrived on 22 January 1840. Old Wellington Region, Wellington, New Zealand. This greeting came about after a meeting in September 1839 between Lieutenant Colonel William Wakefield and significant rangatira (chiefs) of Te Atiawa in Wellington and Hutt Valley. The property last sold for $680,000 on 16 May 2011. Lower Hutt City. Sixth (Ewen) bridge, 1934 First grandstand at Hutt Recreation Ground, 1950 Council led by Mayor Percy Dowse begins development, 1953 New St James Church. The Tory arrived in Wellington Harbour (Te Whanganui a Tara) on 20 September 1839. Before the Second World War of 1939–1945, urban settlement in the lower Hutt Valley concentrated mainly on Petone, central Lower Hutt and Eastbourne, with a total population of 30,000. The railway line from central Wellington reached Lower Hutt station (subsequently Western Hutt) in April 1874, with the line running north up the west side of the Hutt River to Silverstream opening two years later. In the mid-1880s this was changed to 'Hutt'. It was the provision that one tenth of what was known as the Port Nicholson Block, would be set aside in perpetuity for the iwi. In 1829 Edward Gibbon Wakefield, leading a new school of social writers and thinkers, had his first book 'A Letter From Sydney' published. The Avalon Television Studios were New Zealand's first purpose-built television studios, and is the largest television studio complex in New Zealand and Australasia. In 1837 the New Zealand Association was formed in London. The station can be heard in Lower Hutt on 87.9 MHz FM with simulcasting via their official website. History; Government; Local; National; Geography; Climate Two principal rangatira at this time were Honiana Te Puni and Te Wharepouri. Your most recent searches will be listed here. The city centres on the lower (southern) valley of the Hutt River, to the northeast of the city of Wellington. , Within weeks of settlement the Hutt River flooded, and in March 1840 the majority of Britannia settlers decided to move to Thorndon, (as of 2013[update] in the heart of Wellington city), though some settlers remained at the north end of the harbour.  Avalon continues to operate independently with seven film and television studios used as primarily as a feature film production base. It is interesting to note that Sir William Hutt never visited New Zealand. Tel: 64 4 586 0297. In 1846 conflict arose between European settlers and Māori, which led to armed conflict in the Hutt Valley Campaign. Phone: 04 913 6400 or FREE 0508 858 858. , Several education and research facilities of national significance are in the southern half of the city. In 1874 the postmark read 'The Hutt'. The city is also home to many research organizations, including major units of New Zealand’s Department of Scientific … The pa Hikoikoi stood there. 57K likes. Administered by the Hutt City Council, it is one of the four cities that constitute the Wellington metropolitan area.. It is a prime example of early colonial architecture in New Zealand and operates today as a tourist attraction. During the second 50 years of growth the emphasis slowly changed from agriculture to housing and industry. Māori inhabited the shoreline, with a pā at each end of Petone beach. Two years later the railway workshops moved from Petone to a new larger site off the new branch at Woburn. The City of Lower Hutt lies north-east of New Zealand's capital city, Wellington, with a population of about 100,000. The city's six electoral wards (Northern, Western, Central, Eastern, Harbour and Wainuiomata) each elect one councillor, with the remaining six councillors elected at-large. In 1876 the provinces were abolished and counties set up, and within five years Lower Hutt had its own town board. As the region grew, urban parts of the Hutt County became autonomous boroughs: Petone in 1888, Lower Hutt in 1891, Eastbourne in 1906, Johnsonville in 1908, Upper Hutt in 1908, Porirua in 1962 and Kapiti in 1974. It was constructed in 1953, to replace the previous wooden building destroyed by fire in 1946. Attention turned back to the lower Hutt Valley as the best location for an agricultural Page 4 – A line in the bush. This agreement effectively enabled the peaceful settlement of Wellington and the Hutt Valley. Hutt Valley Rail electrification, 1956 War Memorial Library, Little Theatre and Plunket Rooms, 1957 Town Hall and Administration Block. Coordinates: 41°13′S 174°55′E / 41.217°S 174.917°E / -41.217; 174.917. PO Box 30-341 Lower Hutt 5040. Lower Hutt has a number of international city to city relationships. Before European settlement, thick forest covered most of the Hutt Valley, with areas of marshland close to the river's mouth. Thus the City was named after the river, not after Sir William Hutt. The city is popular for outdoor sports, especially mountain biking, hiking, recreational walking and fishing. Campbell Barry became New Zealand's youngest mayor and was first elected in 2019, succeeding Ray Wallace. Māori welcomed the arrival of the New Zealand Company ship Tory in 1839, and William Wakefield (the company's agent) negotiated with some local chiefs to allow settlement. 11 Cleary Street, Waterloo, Lower Hutt, 5011 is a Residential property built in 1965 with 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1 parking space. Special legislation has since 1991 given the council the name "Hutt City Council", while the name of the place itself remains "Lower Hutt City". However, 21 February 1979 was to be another very significant day in the school’s history.